Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

Australian's Favourite Films!

Sunday, December 04, 2005
OMG! Australia, en masse, you have a lot of taste! Australian's Favourite Films just aired on the ABC and I suddenly feel very, very mainstream.
The list:
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Amelie
3. Blade Runner
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. Donnie Darko
6. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
7. Pulp Fiction
8. The Princess Bride
9. Gone With The Wind
10. Fight Club

I'm so impressed Donnie Darko made the list!

However, should I be proudly Aussie or deeply worried about my banality when I have eight of the top ten films on DVD? Can you figure out which two I don't have?

[Tags: | | | | | | ]

5 Comments:

At 12/04/2005 11:49:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowsers. To be fair, the kind of people that watch and vote in ABC film polls form a pretty specific share of the Australian market. I doubt they're a part of the Dancing With The Stars set, at any rate.

My bet is on Gone With The Wind and.... hmm. I can't think of a good excuse not to own any of the others. Excuse me while I update my Amazon wishlist :)

 
At 12/05/2005 09:13:00 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, the voting demographic for something like this would, I'd imagine, be similar to those who voted in the books thing last year and I was, how shall we say, less in tune with popular book thoughts last year!

Of course, you're on the money there, Chris, I don't have and really don't want to have Gone with the Wind in my collection!

 
At 12/05/2005 12:03:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it highly doubtful you have Fight Club but I'm not 100% sure

I however, do.

Not much suprise there, at least in me having it.

 
At 12/05/2005 12:12:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, flb, no cigar for you, I'm afraid. For all it's excessive violence, Fight Club is still a very clever film and has made the list (I also used it as an example when teaching Sex, Bodies, Spaces).

To be fair, I should mention the other one I don't own is simply because I've never purchased it, not because I don't want it!

Care to try your luck once more? ;)

 
At 12/05/2005 06:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm.............I never did Sex, Bodies, Spaces otherwise I would definately have remembered seeing a lot of violence between some sexy scantily clad men!

*ponders* haha

Maybe then, well I know you would have to like 'Princess Bride', and definately 'Shawshank Redemption'. And anyone who has done any Postmodern Studies would have 'Pulp Fiction' so you must have that, even though it isnt necessarily your type of film. So for the sake of being an academic you would HAVE to have it.
So maybe you dont have either the 'Princess Bride' or 'Shawshank'? I'm edging more towards 'Princess Bride'

I can't think straight! Anyway, either way my guesses are logically thought out for someone who doesnt know you that well!

If I wanted to be very clever, I should find a Flickr image of your video shelf, but i'm not even sure you have one up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home