Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

What's My Logo(s)?

Friday, October 08, 2004
Logos: "A term used by Greek (esp. Hellenistic and Neo-Platonist) philosophers in certain metaphysical and theological applications developed from one or both of its ordinary senses ‘reason’ and ‘word’". [OED]

Logo: "A logotype is a graphic element which uniquely identifies corporations, products, services, institutions, agencies, associations, events, or any kind of organizations in order to differentiate publicly the owner of the logotype from other entities. A logotype is really a brandname set in a special typeface/font arranged in a particular, but legible, way. In later years however, it has come to describe signs, emblems, trademarks, coats of arms, symbols and even flags. At the end of this article there are true logotypes, whereas the others including non-letter graphics of some kind usually can be described as emblems, brandmarks, trademark or company-mark, which all can include text. Emblems with non-textual content could never correctly be described as a logotype". [Wikipedia]

My Logo(s):

Thanks to the wonderful, artisitic and general all-around uber-lovely-person Jo Gray, I can now answer the question, "what's my logo"? A hybrid of Rodan's Thinker, a map of Australia emphasising Western Australia, and a silhouetted figure with iPod earphone leads, with a very healthy dose of irony, and you have the brand new Tama Logo! Now I feel like I'm a true citizen of media culture. Ah, Baudrillard, you'd no doubt tell me I was a victim of my own simulacra ...

0 Comments:

<< Home