Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

FOX: All the News Fit to Fabricate

Monday, October 04, 2004
Well, unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know that Fox News finally made complete fools of themselves by posting an article which completely fabricated quotes supposedly from Democratic Presidential candidate John Kerry. In the aftermath of the Presidental Campaign Debate the article in question claimed among other things:
"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" Mr Cameron's article, purportedly quoting Senator Kerry after the event.

"Women should like me! I do manicures," the story also quotes Senator Kerry as telling the crowd.

The article also has the Democratic candidate contrasting himself to US President George W Bush.

"I'm metrosexual - he's a cowboy," Mr Cameron quoted Senator Kerry as saying.
While Fox has been caught and withdrawn the article, the damage was already done after these ridiculous statements were live on Fox's news website which sees a great deal of traffic. After being caught out and widely embarrassed by reports in other media, this tiny apology appeared on a FOX Campaign 2004 page on Friday:
Editor's Note

Earlier Friday, FOXNews.com posted an item purporting to contain quotations from Kerry. The item was based on a reporter’s partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. We regret the error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice.
While I'm pleased to see an apology at all, surely they could have been more specific about what they were apologising for! (I don't believe for a minute it was an accident, but I didn't expect Fox to admit they were seeing how far they could push their fabrications during an election!) It seems Outfoxed was right on the money! Oh, and for those who live in Perth (where I live), my copy of the Outfoxed documentary has arrived, so if anyone wants to sit down and watch it (and lament the powerful media!), let me know!

PS I was very disappointed to discover that if I chose the Blog category on Jeopardy I would only have got three out of five. I'm such an ignorant nerd! :P

0 Comments:

<< Home