Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

57% of US Teens are Media Producers (of some sort...)

Thursday, November 03, 2005
Drawning on a new Pew Internet and American Life Project report, the NYTimes has an article entitled "The Lives of Teenagers Now: Open Blogs, Not Locked Diaries" which chronicles the media-savvy participatory media producing generation:
According to the Pew survey, 57 percent of all teenagers between 12 and 17 who are active online - about 12 million - create digital content, from building Web pages to sharing original artwork, photos and stories to remixing content found elsewhere on the Web. Some 20 percent publish their own Web logs. [...] Most teenagers online take their role as content creators as a given. Twenty-two percent report keeping their own personal Web page, and about one in five say they remix content they find online into their own artistic creations, whether as composite photos, edited video productions or, most commonly, remixed song files.
Those stats warm my heart as media producers tend to be much more critical media consumers. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I like to teach about blogging I can see a lot of expansion in that area coming in the next decade!

See the Pew Internet and American Life Project "Teen Content Creators and Consumers" report for more [Full PDF of report here].

[Tags: | | | | | ]

1 Comments:

At 11/04/2005 12:52:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm about to move out of this demographic, being 19--but anyway, I've got an Associate's Degree in Film and Video and I'm in my first year at a film conservatory. I'm an extremly proficient editor and a fairly knowlegeable cinematographer...sadly, I have neither the time or persisitence to keep my blog updated. I'd like to produce a podcast though.

There's a sample of the percentage. Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home