Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

The Da Vinci Code

Monday, May 22, 2006

I confess: I was one of the many, many people who despite many poor reviews still chose to see The Da Vinci Code over the weekend. Quite a few people, it seems, made that choice, with the film taking $US77 million in the North American market and globally over $US224 million in its first weekend.

What's worse is I now agree with most of the critics. The film is too slow, too long and for a film was so much potential for stunning scenery, really not enough of France or London is seen. More to the point, where the book makes you feel intelligent, as if you're figuring things out as you go, the movie makes you feel like a 5-year-old has taken you by the hand and has to explain every possible exposition point without having any skill in terms of joining these points together. All in all, not worth your time (but I bet you'll see it anyway, won't you?).

[Tags: | ]

5 Comments:

At 5/22/2006 08:17:00 pm, Blogger skribe said...

Nope.

 
At 5/22/2006 09:48:00 pm, Blogger flexnib said...

Doh, skribe, that's what I was gunna say! :)

 
At 5/23/2006 07:44:00 am, Blogger Ren said...

No, I shan't be seeing it. I read the book to find out what the fuss was all about and nearly went on an insane killing rampage in revenge of the slaughtering of the English language and such a badly written book. I enjoyed the theory behind it (anything that annoys the shit out of the God Botherers appeals to me) but that was about it.

Ron Howard has yet to make a decent film. He should stick with harmless Disney productions.

 
At 5/24/2006 09:45:00 am, Blogger Grant said...

Ron Howard directed The Paper, which I particularly like.
For the most part he directs "good" but not "great" films IMO: Apollo 13, Willow, Ransom, etc.
I thought he did an amazing job directing A Beautiful Mind, a film only hamstrung by one of the most screenplays to ever grace the screen.

 
At 5/24/2006 11:11:00 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I really don't think DaVinci Code is Howard at the top of his game. Willow and Cocoon are both decent films, and while I had a few issues with A Beautiful Mind, I'll admit it was well crafted.

I think Ron Howard knows better and I really don't understand why DaVinci Code is as bad as it is because Howard usually knows how to get to the emotions of a story and in this case, just doesn't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home