Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

Sunday, April 25, 2004
It's a Google. I do Google. You too. You do google too!

One of these days I'm going to wake up and discover I don't use Google, it uses me! Of course, until then I'm going to continue to be seduced by the new toys available through the Googleplex.

On Friday I joined Orkut (thanks to Simon) which is Google's new social software system. You can only join if you're invited in as a 'friend' of an existing Orkutter, so there's a whole six degrees of separation thing going on. It actually seems pretty well designed and there are lots and lots of active communites. Given my interests, there are a number of Blog-related communities, media based ones (Buffy and 24 and so on) and even Perth-based ones like a UWA community, Swancon and a just a 'WA' community. It will be interesting so see how these communities develop. If anyone out there wants to become an Orkutter, let me know and I'll invite you in.

Also on Friday, I was pleased to discover that Blogger was offering active Blogger users the chance to sign up for a Google's new email system: GMail. So, for those interested, my new secondary email has become tamaleaver [at] gmail [dot] com. The layout seems pretty good, although it will take a little while to get used to the idea of archiving all the email with labels instead of into folders. Given that GMail comes with a gigabyte of storage space, I suspect quite a few users are going to opt for this free platform. There are, however, privacy concerns given that google scans your messages with a bot in order to place targetted adveertising in your GMail window. While this is "non-human" reading, I still wonder what is going to happen with GMail and privacy (there appears to be a lot of tension in that regard with Internet Privacy and Advocacy Groups). However, as a secondary email that will never see my important or very personal emails, I think it should be more than adeqaute. The only major drawback for my purposes (that I've found so far) is that I don't appear to be able to create a signature file!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home