Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

Plagiarism & Arrogance to boot ...

Thursday, June 03, 2004
Michael Gunn, a student at the University of Kent at Canterbury in the UK was told he wouldn't graduate since he committed plagiarism in his final essays. Gunn, however, is planning to sue his university, not to prove he didn't plagiarise, but rather to prove he did all the time, and he thus claims his university should have disciplined him earlier in his degree, not at the end. The BBC Education section reports Gunn's lament:
"I can see there is evidence I have gone against the rules, but they have taken all my money for three years and pulled me up the day before I finished. [...] If they had pulled me up with my first essay at the beginning and warned me of the problems and consequences, it would be fair enough. [...] But all my essays were handed back with good marks and no one spotted it."
I'm sorry, but plagiarism is plagiarism. Yes, it's sad that a university missed three solid years of it, but if Kent is anything like Western Australian universities, there are warnings against plagiarism everywhere. What the hell is the point of a university degree which is mainly plagiarised anyway?!? [Via Neil Gaiman]

0 Comments:

<< Home