Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

The First Rule of Fight Club...

Tuesday, August 17, 2004
... is you do not make a game about Fight Club.

The second rule of Fight Club is you DO NOT MAKE A GAME ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

However, as Nick Montfort notes over at GTxA, no one seems to have told Vivendi Games:

While previous posts have probably shown that I have no real issue with violent games (in the right context, with mature gamers who can suspend their 'belief'), I've got to say the idea of a Fight Club game fills me with dread. Why? Well, the film , for all its violence, is very, very clever and subverts and questions ideas and conventions of masculinity throughtout. I simply can't see any of that subversive narrative making its way into the game. So, I fear Fight Club! Of course, I do wonder if there will be a video recording function embedded in the game: I can imagine some pretty interesting machinima coming from this game and think the challenge of making it (in some way) subversive, like the film, would be truly interesting.

0 Comments:

<< Home