Ponderance

(May 2003 - March 2007.) Tama's thoughts on the blogosphere, podcasting, popular culture, digital media and citizen journalism posted from a laptop computer somewhere in Perth's isolated, miniature, urban jungle ...

Saturday, September 13, 2003
William Gibson: "LAST POSTCARD FROM COSTA DEL BLOG"

William Gibson has given up blogging, at least for the time being. The final entry begins thus:
Time for me to get back to my day job, which means that it’s time for me to stop blogging. I’ve found blogging to be a low-impact activity, mildly narcotic and mostly quite convivial, but the thing I’ve most enjoyed about it is how it never fails to underline the fact that if I’m doing this I’m definitely not writing a novel – that is, if I’m still blogging, I’m definitely still on vacation. I’ve always known, somehow, that it would get in the way of writing fiction, and that I wouldn’t want to be trying to do both at once. The image that comes most readily to mind is that of a kettle failing to boil because the lid’s been left off.
It's sad to see one of my favourite daily reads come to an end, but it does beg the interesting question, how much time does a blogger blog? Would I read the same online papers and journals each day if I didn't have a mind to writing something in here at least one every two days? I'm not sure ... how do other bloggers feel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home